When is the first day of the Year! Depending on whom this question is addressed, you will definitely receive different answers, but I would like to specifically address this question to all those who profess to be believers in Jesus Christ, the Lord and Creator of the universe.
Therefore, to all who profess to believe in Jesus Christ, the only Begotten Son of God, is Sunday 1st January 2017 the first day of the year to you? Consider the fact that the first thing any true believer should know and believe about Jesus Christ is that, He is the Lord God of the Old Testament by whom all things were created.
The worse indictment that has been labeled on the Christian community by Jesus Christ Himself is that of vain worship. For this is what He said to the Scribes and Pharisees, “Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you saying: ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men” (Matthew 15:7-9; Mark 7:6-9).
Let us all therefore with open minds consider the following scriptures which states quite unequivocally that;-
• “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men”…” And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:1-4, 14).
• He (Jesus Christ) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence” (Colossians 1:15-18).
• “For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live” (1Corinthians 8:5-6).
• “Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Remember, this name was given to Jesus Christ eight (8) days after His birth when was circumcised (Philippians 2:9-11; Luke 2:21).
• “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8).
Now, if we all believe and truly understand all what is mentioned above concerning Jesus Christ, and truly believe that He is the head of the church, and that in all things He may have the preeminence, the superiority above all others, why then do we give others the preeminence over Him?
The majority of those who claimed to believe in Jesus Christ, unfortunately, do not regard Him as being Lord, for the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “This month shall be your beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you” (Exodus 12:2).
So when is the first month of the year according to the Lord, who created the heavens, the earth, the seas and all that are in them? The first month of the year according the Almighty God, the Creator of heaven and earth is the month on which the Lord’s Passover falls.
For thus says the Lord; “On the tenth of this month every man shall take for himself a lamb, according to the house of his father, a lamb for a household…Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year. You may take it from the sheep or from the goats. Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight” (Exodus 12:3, 5, 6).
Now this ordinance which the Lord gave to the children of Israel is an everlasting one, for thus says the Lord; “So this day shall be to you a memorial; and you shall keep it as a feast to the LORD throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance…And you shall observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever” (Exodus 12:14; 24).
Now please bear in mind that, what the children of Israel were observing was only the copy and shadow of the reality, but today, we have the reality, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself a ransom for all on the exact date of the Passover which is on the fourteenth (14th) day of the first month of the year, which corresponds to fourteen days beginning with the first new moon in Spring, and normally falls between the end of March or early April in the Roman or Gregorian calendar.
The sad and unfortunate thing is that, the majority of those professing to believe in Jesus Christ consider these things to be trivial and insignificant, but according to Jesus Christ, “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?” (Luke 6:46).
And what has eluded the eyes of the many who profess to be believers, but seeing absolutely nothing wrong in giving the preeminence, the honor and the glory to another Deity is the fact that they have not truly perceived the profoundness and magnitude of what is taking place behind the scene.
The irony of truth and the facts of the matter is that, there are only two masters, we can either love one and hate the other, or be loyal to one and despise the other. There are only two kingdoms and we can either be a citizen of the kingdom of light, or be a citizen of the kingdom of darkness. There is either the truth which is Jesus Christ or the lie which is Satan; one is either a slave of righteousness or a slave of sin, there are no middle grounds.
So then, where did we get the idea that a day begins in the night instead of sunrise! That Sunday, the first day of the week is the Sabbath instead of Saturday the seventh day! That a new month can begin at any time without the inclusion of the moon, despite the fact that the word month actually originated from the moon! That a new year can start in the middle of winter, again without the inclusion of the moon, instead of the first new moon in spring! That the month September which name originated from number seven is now the ninth month, October, which originated from the word “Octagon” meaning eight, is now the tenth month, and December which originated from number ten is now the twelve month?
The root cause of this dilemma of vain worship is the quest for Satan the father of lies and prince of darkness, to dominate over light and truth which represents the kingdom of God. It is Satan’s quest to be worshiped just as God is worshiped. So what seems to the majority of professing believers as trivial and insignificant is more profound and significant than they realized.
The irony of truth is all the above mentioned changes were established by the fourth beast which is the Roman Empire, to whom Satan has given his power, his throne and great authority. Therefore, when we reject the basic principles established by the kingdom of light and adopt the principles established by the kingdom of darkness, we are giving Satan the preeminence over our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
By giving the principles established by beast the preeminence over the principles established by the Lord, whether knowingly or unknowingly, we are automatically worshiping the dragon who gave his power, his throne and great authority to the beast, because ignorant of the law is no excuse. (Revelation 13:4).
Therefore, the Lord’s admonition to His people is, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. For her sins have reached to heaven and God has remembered her iniquities” (Revelation 18:4).
The question is will we all take heed, the choice is ours.
Copyright © 2016 by Lucius Joseph
All rights reserved