Different Types of Driving Licence Categories

Owning a vehicle is not a big deal these days. What’s more difficult is understanding the laws linked to driving these vehicles, the categories created by the government and getting the same approved on the licence.

In order to simplify the licensing process, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has categorized vehicles in different categories. To drive a particular kind of vehicle, an individual needs to ensure that he is entitled on his driving licence to drive the same.


Mopeds are light motor vehicles that have been categorized into three different categories as given below:

  1. Category AM:

An individual who owns 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles that have maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph) falls under this category. The category also includes light quad bikes.

  1. Category P

An individual is eligible to drive 2-wheeled vehicles that have design speed ranging between 45km/h (28mph) and 50km/h (31mph). The engine size must not be more than 50cc, if powered by an internal combustion engine.

  1. Category Q

An individual who owns 2-wheeled vehicles that have engine size of not more than 50cc (if powered by an internal combustion engine) and a maximum design speed of not more than 25km/h (15.5mph) falls under Category Q.


An individual needs to obtain any of the three entitlements on his driving licence as per the motorcycle he owns:

  1. Category A1:

This entitlement gives an individual the right to drive light motorbikes with an engine size up to 125cc, a power output of up to 11kW and a power to weight ratio of not more than 0.1kW/kg. The motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW are also included in this category.

  1. Category A2:

With this entitlement, an individual is allowed to drive motorbikes that havepower output up to 35kW and power to weight ratio is not more than 0.2kW/kg. He/she can also drive motorbikes that falls under category A1.

  1. Category A:

An individual can drive motorbikes that have more than 35kW of power output or a power to weight ratio above 0.2kW/kg and motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW. He/she can also drive motor bikes that fall under the categories A1 and A2.

Light vehicles and quad bikes

The light vehicle and quad bike owner need to have any of the following entitlements on their driving licence:

  1. Category B1:

This entitlement is required for driving 4-wheeler motor vehicles of up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if they’re designed for carrying goods.


Category B

Following vehicles are allowed under this category:

  1. Vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
  2. Tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.
  3. Motor tricycles with a power output above 15kW, if the driver is over 21 years old.
  4. Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement can also ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

Apart from these entitlements, there are more entitlements that are required to drive cars, medium-sized and large-sized vehicles and buses. However, an individual doesn’t need to have a driving licence to drive electric bikes, mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs.

If you would like to have any kind of guidance or assistance regarding your driving licence, the DVLA customer service number 0870 174 7001 is ready to help you. Dial DVLA contact number and get your query resolved.


Iblog.at comments disabled due to abuse